Medical facilities are complex entities with many moving parts—patients, physicians, nurses, and administrators. To operate smoothly, executives shoulder the critical tasks of steering their organizations toward a future marked by innovation, adaptability, and exceptional patient care.
The advent of new technologies and medical advancements pose new challenges for organizations in this space. Healthcare executives must be prepared to adapt quickly and effectively to meet these complexities head-on. In addition, the changing nature of patient care also presents unique challenges for healthcare leaders, especially while navigating the uncertainty of a global pandemic.
From hospitals to pharmaceutical companies, executives of medical organizations have responsibilities distinct from those of the head physicians actively practicing medicine. While both roles require exceptional leadership, the focus of a healthcare executive extends beyond medical practice. Their roles encompass various aspects of organizational management, such as finance, operations, human resources, marketing, and strategic planning.
Professional organizations are indispensable in supporting these executives, providing them with the tools and resources to drive their companies forward.
This guide will discuss a selection of professional associations catering to executives in the medical and healthcare industries who do not engage in direct medical practice, showcasing the myriad opportunities available for growth and industry engagement.
American College of Healthcare Executives
Membership Fees: starting at $345 annually
ACHE is a prominent professional association dedicated to advancing healthcare management excellence. With a membership base of over 48,000 medical executives and 9,000 Fellows, ACHE offers numerous resources such as industry-leading publications, research, and cutting-edge educational programs. The organization also provides opportunities to network and share best practices, fostering collaborative problem-solving and driving innovation in leadership. Unique benefits for members also include:
- Webinars from healthcare executives covering a wide range of topics
- Access to becoming board-certified with the FACHE credential
- Access ACHE’s top-notch publications, including Healthcare Executive magazine, the Journal of Healthcare Management, and Frontiers of Health Services Management
- Discounts on ACHE’s continuing education programs
- Career Resources from ACHE’s online Job Center and the CareerEDGE® tool
American Association of Healthcare Administrative Management
Membership Fees: starting at $210 annually
As the only professional association dedicated to the revenue cycle, AAHAM is an excellent organization for those in healthcare administrative management. Initially formed to cater to hospital patient accountants, AAHAM has evolved into a national membership association representing a broad constituency of healthcare executives. Membership benefits include the following:
- A designated career laddering program
- Five AAHAM certification designations
- Exclusive invitation and discounted pricing to the AAHAM’s Annual National Institute
- Access to Legislative Day which brings members face-to-face with lawmakers in D.C.
- Scholarship and awards programs
- AAHAM Member’s Only Social Network
- Access to state hospital associations nationwide and the AAHAM Job Bank
Healthcare Financial Management Association
Membership Fees: starting at $465 annually
A leading professional organization for financial executives in the healthcare sector, HFMA offers the tools and resources for leaders to overcome the industry’s toughest challenges. Membership includes access to industry-specific education, research, and benchmarking tools that help executives make informed decisions and optimize financial performance. In addition, with a network of more than 64,000 professionals, HFMA hosts several well-known conferences and events, facilitating networking and collaboration among healthcare financial leaders.
- Credibility with HFMA’s nationally recognized certifications, including the Certified Healthcare Finance Professional and Certified Revenue Cycle Representative
- Salary comparison using HFMA’s Compensation Benchmarks
- Access to specialty-specific e-newsletters: Revenue Cycle Insights and the Cost Effectiveness of Health Report
- Access to local chapter meetings
- Earn over 70 hours of CPE and maintain credentials with a vast selection of online courses
Medical Group Management Association
Membership Fees: starting at $399 annually
MGMA is a premier professional organization for executives managing medical practices and healthcare organizations. It offers many resources, including industry research, benchmarking data, and professional development programs. Members will join a base of 60,000 other leaders in the industry. Key benefits to joining include:
- Unlimited access to webinars, educational courses, and certification programs
- Discounts on professional development services and travel
- Government advocacy efforts in Washington D.C.
- Access to ACMPE certificates, Board Certification, and Fellowship — the gold standard in medical practice management
- Access to MGMA’s Ask an Advisor program for any complicated issues
- Access to MGMA’s Career Center for job seekers and employers
Administrative healthcare leaders are constantly challenged to incorporate ongoing technological innovations, new policy changes, and heightened public expectations into their strategies while remaining profitable and safely serving their patients.
Executives, your seat is at the table. The companies you lead and the patients you serve will continue to become part of a larger healthcare ecosystem gaining momentum daily. By participating in these professional associations, you can be at the forefront of determining how that ecosystem evolves and efficiently respond to its changing needs.